Doug started playing guitar at the age of 15, joining several hard rock and heavy metal bands in his hometown of Swanage. After playing around the south coast for several years Doug enrolled on a BTEC ND Music Performance course at Bournemouth and Poole College before relocating to London and completing a BMus Performance Degree at the Guitar Institute.
During his studies Doug’s tastes diversified widely as he spent a year playing in blues bands before becoming enamoured with the world of jazz fusion, particularly the application of modern jazz harmony within rock/fusion non-diatonic improvisation scenarios. He currently plays live in function and covers bands and produces commercial music. His main creative focus remains heavy metal with his progressive band Beneath Dead Waves, in which he composes and plays lead guitar. Beneath Dead Waves debut album ‘Inertia’ will be released in 2014.
Doug has worked as a private guitar tutor since 2005, is a core faculty member and course content creator for The Rhythm Studio and has previously taught for IGF/ICMP, Dorset Music Service and the Canned Performance Company as well as contributed to syllabuses for IGF, Canned and The Rhythm Studio.
Philosophy, Style and Expertise :
I have been teaching professionally since 2005 and am an enthusiastic tutor of all modern guitar styles.
- Clear, structured learning approach uniquely adapted for each students individual needs
- All theory and technique to advanced levels
- Genuine enthusiasm for helping beginners take their first steps on the instrument
- Specialist in modern rock and fusion improvisation concepts and application of modern jazz harmony in rock/fusion contexts
- Great with kids and firm believer you’re never too old to learn!
- Audition and examination preparations, help with GCSE, BTEC and A-Level coursework, further education advice and guidance
- CRB Checked, NSPCC Child Protection Awareness Certificate holder